tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 07 15:53:38 1999

Re: Dreaming in Klingon

ja' Edy:
>>How would you refer to a person -- say for example, your captain -- if that
>>person was dead? Would you use -wI' or -wIj?
>
>    I don't see any problem using wI', because while he was
>alive he could use the language. When you rebember him, he was able
>to use the language. You'll ever refer him in past:
>"My captain said this/that", etc, like all of your dead ancestors:

Good point: {targhlIj yab tIn law' no'lI' Hoch yabDu' tIn puS}.

>"The grandfather of my grandfather had a beautiful house"
>{juH 'IH ghaj vavnI'wI' vavnI'}

As a matter of style, I usually stay away from using {ghaj} like this.
The same meaning can be carried by {'IH vavnI'wI' vavnI' juH}, and if
the point of the sentence is the "is beautiful" instead of the "has",
the focus of my version seems more appropriate.

>naDev HoDwI' mollu'
>{My captain was buried here)

Sounds good to me.

-- ghunchu'wI'