tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 07 12:34:17 1999

RE: Klingon pleasantries

ja' pagh:
>"Conversational Klingon" (I think; it may be "Power Klingon") gives us the
>phrase <qay'be'>, which might be used in *some* of the situations where
>"you're welcome" is used in English, and I find myself using it that way
>sometimes.

{qay'be'} "No problem!" is the eighth Useful Klingon Expression listed
in TKD's appendix, on page 170.  It does tend to come out of my mouth at
times when an automatic "you're welcome" would be expected, in response
to an automatic "thank you".  However, much of the time, when I would be
expected to say "thank you" in English, what actually comes out is {maj}.

>In any case, I'm not even sure what "return my honor" means here.

charghwI' already pointed out that {qa'meH vIttlheghmey} "replacement
proverbs" are the way to go here.  Regaining lost honor is *exactly*
what they're for.  My favorite is {DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'},
with {HIvqa' veqlargh} a close second.

I *really* like {nIteb latlh qabDaq qul yIchenmoH HIvDI' veqlargh},
but that's probably going a little overboard. :-)

>Asking somebody to move out of your way - just proceeding, a gentle shove,
><vIH> (clipped form of <yIvIH> or <pevIH>).

If I feel the need to inform someone that I'm going past them, I say
{qajuS} or {SajuS}.  On occasion, I will grumble {HewIjvo' yIghoS} at
the driver of a car blocking my way, but never loud enough to be heard.
Honking the horn gets my meaning across quite well in that case.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level