tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 07 12:26:22 1999

VS1, VS4, VS5

Here's a grammatical question; I'd like to hear people's opinions.  What do
you make of this:

vIqIp'eghmoHlu'

VS1 {-'egh} requires a no-object prefix, while VS5 {-lu'} requires a prefix
indicating a third-person singular object.  Contradictory requirements, but
there's nothing explicitly ruling out {-'egh} with {-lu'} (or is there?).
Now, throwing that {-moH} in there really makes it fun.  It feels like a
perfectly fine sentence meaning "one causes me to hit myself," (those darn
{HoSDo'} again!), but strictly speaking it should be ungrammatical.

nuq boQuv?

Holtej .-=-.

Back to archive top level