tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 05 08:50:04 1999

Re: RE: KLBC: Two things....

Good post. I add a comment.

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 04:01:30 -0800 (PST) "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> For "let me know", <vISovmoH> doesn't quite work. The verb <Sov> by itself
> is transitive, meaning <something> knows <something else>. With <-moH>,
> things get tricky. The English is <subject> causes <object1> to know
> <object2>. The way we write this in Klingon is:
>
> <object1>-vaD <object2> SovmoH <subject>.
>
> There is also a "prefix shortcut" that can be applied when the prefixes for
> <object1> and <object2> don't match (usually when <object1> is a first or
> second person pronoun.

Okrand was very explicit about this. The indirect object is not
just "usually" first or second person. The prefix shortcut ONLY
works when the indirect object is first or second person. There
is no prefix shortcut for a third person indirect object.

> The verb prefix gets changed from the one for
> <object2> to the one for <object1>. For example:
>
> jIHvaD qechlIj yISovmoH   - becomes
> qechlIj HISovmoH

maj.

> In any case, while <SovmoH> is OK for "let me know", there is a better way:
> <ja'>. "Let me know" is really just a weird English expression for "tell
> me".
>
> qechlIj HIja'.

maj.

> pagh