tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 05 03:43:20 1999

RE: KLBC: Two things... -Reply

jatlh DaQ:

: translation.... oh and another thing I thought about was that the qechmey
: were directed towards one person, wouldn't it be better to say
: qechmeylIj not qechmeylI' as I had thought previously or qechmeyraj
: which would denote more than one possessor?

jatlh Voragh:

If the "you" of "your ideas" is singular, use {-lIj}; if plural - "you guys,
y'all", "all of you" - then use {-raj}.  Don't use {-lI'} or {-ra'}, which
are only used if the *thing(s) possessed* is itself capable of speech (i.e.
a person, of whatever species).  Thus:

	{voragh, qechlIj vIparHa'} 			"Voragh, I like your
idea"
	{voragh, qechmeylIj vIparHa'} 		"Voragh, I like your ideas"

	{DaQ pagh je, qechraj vIpar} 			"DaQ & pagh, I
dislike your idea"
	{DaQ pagh je, qechmeyraj vIpar} 	"DaQ & pagh, I dislike your
ideas"

but

	{voragh, puqlI' vImuSHa'}				"Voragh, I
love your child"
	{DaQ pagh je, puqpu'ra' vImuS} 		"DaQ & pagh, I hate your
children"

Do note, though, that the lack of a plural in Klingon does NOT mean that the
noun is not plural. You can often find out from context (verb prefix,
number, etc.) whether a noun is plural or not. If not, the number of the
noun is probably not important.

qechlIj vIparHa' - "I like your idea" -OR- "I like your ideas"
qechlIj wIparHa' - "We like your idea"
qechlIj DIparHa' - "We like your ideas"

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian