tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 03 18:37:12 1999

Re: Two things...

> In some poetry, {-mey} is also used on nouns normally pluralized
> by {-Du'}, but in general speech, this is considered a blunder.
> In those rare poems, it acquires the meaning "scattered all
> about", but this is one of those things you just don't do while
> speaking Klingon. It is a very cryptic form of poetry.

I think that random thoughts is a very abstract and poetic thought that
could be read as scattered all about.

> Note that there is no way to pluralize a common noun normally
> pluralized with {-mey} such that it takes on the "scattered all
> about" meaning. For that, you'd have to reconsider what you are
> trying to say and use some other mechanism to do it.
>
> In this particular example of "ideas scattered all over the
> place", we have a special problem, since ideas don't have a
> literal location, unless one considers the idea to be located in
> the brain, in which case one could hardly consider one person's
> ideas to be scattered all about unless their BRAIN were
> scattered all about. If you bothered your average Klingon too
> many times asking him how to say that sort of thing, then you
> might find YOUR ideas scattered all about. {{:)>
>
> To express that thought, I'd just say:
>
> Qoch qechmeylIj.
>
> Your ideas disagree.

That doesn't work. That's a statement, not a noun. If I was going to use a
statement, I would have used <'obe' ghajHa' qechmeyraj>, or "your thoughts
do not have order". However, we are not trying to tell the people we are
talking to how scatter-brained that they are, we're telling them to toss
out ideas as the come to them. I can't figure out how to do that. The best
thing I can come up with is <rut qechmeyraj tuSovmoH>, or "Let me know your
thoughts, sometimes", but it *still* doesn't work.

--- loD Doq

Back to archive top level