tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 07 12:34:36 1999

Re: Two things...

ja' loD Doq:
>> In some poetry, {-mey} is also used on nouns normally pluralized
>> by {-Du'}, but in general speech, this is considered a blunder.
>> In those rare poems, it acquires the meaning "scattered all
>> about", but this is one of those things you just don't do while
>> speaking Klingon. It is a very cryptic form of poetry.
>
>I think that random thoughts is a very abstract and poetic thought that
>could be read as scattered all about.

You have missed the point.  The point is that {qech} isn't one of the
verbs that normally take a {-pu'} or {-Du'} plural, so there won't be
any connotation of "scattered" when {-mey} is used.  There isn't some
"abstract and poetic" grammatical marker you can use in order to have
the "scattered" idea expressed.  This point was made in the next part
of the note you responded to:

>> Note that there is no way to pluralize a common noun normally
>> pluralized with {-mey} such that it takes on the "scattered all
>> about" meaning. For that, you'd have to reconsider what you are
>> trying to say and use some other mechanism to do it.

Do you understand?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level