tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 03 10:54:59 1999

RE: KLBC..Family

jatlh qoreQ:

> I have been trying to find words for family members...I have found
> ones for like mother and brother etc. But non for like Uncle or
> Niece..Do the the Klingons not count these as family members or what?

You have asked two independent questions. To start with, we have no idea
what sorts of extended family members count as "relatives". This is purely a
cultural question, and not a language question at all. I'm not even sure I
know in the US (speaking English). My cousins count, but how about my second
cousins? My brother's wife counts, but what about her sisters?

Your second question is about words for relatives. Here are the ones we
have:

vav - father
SoS - mother
vavnI' - grandfather
SoSnI' - grandmother
ghu - baby
puq - child
puqloD - son
puqbe' - daughter
be'nal - wife
loDnal - husband
be'nI' - sister
loDnI' - brother

The lack of a word for a relation does not imply that the language does not
have one, just that if there is one, we do not know it yet. Keep in mind,
though, that just about any relation you could come up with can be expressed
using the words we *already have* in a noun-noun construction. Who is your
uncle? He is either your father's brother or your mother's brother. Who is
your cousin? etc.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level