tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 03 10:49:33 1999

Re: Okrand speaks: What time is it?

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:10:16 -0800 (PST) SuSvaj
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >Another new word, {qen} as well. Interesting stuff. Enjoy.
>
> Perhapse my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I can't find "qen" in here.
> Where is it?
>
> SuSvaj

It has also been speculated that there was once a bit more
to this expression, namely an element stating the time
period the questioner was concerned about.  For example,
maybe people said:

    DaHjaj 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

That is, "Today, how many times has someone heard it?"
(<DaHjaj> "today"), suggesting that the questioner is
concerned about how much time has gone by "today" (as
opposed to, say, "this week").

Or maybe the fuller expression was a little less specific:

    qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

"Recently, how many times has someone heard it?" (<qen>
"recently, a short time ago").

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level