tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 02 08:27:00 1999

Re: Reply to KIRNEH: Re: leng Hovmey joj: jav

There is a point being missed here. {Human} is the name of a
race, not the name of a place. {romuluSngan} is based upon
{romuluS} which is the name of a place, not the name of a race.
By making up the incorrect word {Humanngan}, you have combined
two unrelated ideas.

It's like saying that someone from Brooklyn is a Brooklyner and
then hearing about Hawaiians and figuring that they should be
called Hawaiianers. That is not how it works.

{Humanpu'} is right. {romuluSnganpu'} is right. Putting {-ngan}
on {Human} is wrong.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 03:19:29 -0800 (PST) KIRNEH <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Patrick Masterson wrote:
>
> > (QIn 'ay'vam vIpoDmoH)
> >
> > >I seem to remember PK saying that Klingons from different areas have
> > >different dialects, much like Humanganpu' from the South sounding much
> > >different from those in, say, New York.  The guard is far away from the
> > >Imperial center of influence, so he must be using a Morskan dialect.
> > >
> > >Opinions?
> > >
> > >	--da laffin tlhIngan :>
> > >

> > Isn't "Humans" supposed to be "Humanpu'"?
>
> No-- in the novels and in at least one film (ST5), the -ngan suffix is
> used to denote racial origin (Vixis uses the term romuluSngan when
> describing the Romulan delegate on Nimbus 3). Therefore, since the films
> are canon, so is -ngan.
> I suspect "Human" is used for non-organic objects-- Human Empire, etc
> (recently replaced with tera'ngan).
>
> 	--da laffin tlhIngan :>

Back to archive top level