tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 28 10:03:58 1999

Re: New Millenium

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:40:50 -0600 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> reghIyna':
> : ...and how to say "ambush" in tlhIngan-Hol.

It is good to give a whole sentence instead of asking for a
single word. If you give a sentence, we can almost always offer
meaningful recastings of the idea. When you ask for a single
word, you are treating the language like a code instead of a
langauge. Just plug in the Klingon word where the English word
was. That is not how it works.

"I ambushed the traitor." pay' maghwI' vImerchu'. pe'vIl vIHIv.
vIHoH.

"The Ferengi dogs ambushed us." HIghpu' verengan Ha'DIbaHpu'!
qabDu'chaj 'angQo'. 'emmajDaq HIv. So''eghtaHvIS, nuHmey HoSghaj
lo'. Hegh 'op SuvwI'na' yoH. bortaS wISuqnIS.

I can't give you a simple list of words to plug in where you
would use "ambush". Don't think so much on the level of words.
Think more on the level of thoughts. Words are just the tools
used to convey thoughts. They are not the same thing as
thoughts. There are a collection of thoughts behind the
expression of the word "ambush" and in Klingon you might choose
different words for those different meanings, and you might even
choose a combination of words to convey a particular meaning.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level