tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 28 09:18:35 1999

Re: DuSaQ'a'; qepHommey

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:58:41 +0000 (GMT) Mark A Miles
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh QuljIb:
> > *New Paltz* DuSaQ'a'Daq jIHaDlI'.  HolQeD 'oH He'a'wIj.  nuq 'oH
> He'a'lIj?
>
> *Danish* Hol 'oH He'a'wIj. *Scandinavian*pu' vIHaD.

rut *Scandanavian* be'pu' vIHaD. Does that count?

> ja' qIroS:
> > wej ben *newcastle*Daq qepHom vIchenmoH
> >
> > latlh qepHom vIchenmoH 'e' DuH
>
> qepHom vIghoSmeH 'e' chongbe' HolwIj
> (My Klingon is not good enough for going to a qepHom [is this right?])

You didn't mark this as KLBC, so I'll step in. First, I'll
describe what you could notice about it to know what isn't
working. The pronoun {'e'} acts as a direct object to a verb
following it and it represents the GRAMMATICALLY COMPLETE
SENTENCE preceeding it. Now, look at {qepHom vIghoSmeH}. Is that
a complete sentence? No. It is a dependent clause. It needs to
attach itself to a main verb. The pronoun {'e'} doesn't work
here.

I'll also point out that {qIroS} also has made fairly
controversial use of {'e'} since {DuH} is not really a verb that
can take a direct object. You don't "be possible" something.
Just because we use the word "that" in English doesn't mean you
can replace it with {'e'} in Klingon. qIroS likely should have
said: {latlh qepHom vIchenmoHlaH.} To say, "It is possible that
I can cause a qepHom to take form" is a vague, wittering,
passive voice kind of expression of saying "I can cause a qepHom
to form". "It is possible," is very vague. "I can" is much more
explicit, direct and, well, Klingon.

As for your statement, it is a little messy because even if you
drop the {'e'}, you are implying that your language is
purposefully being not excellent in order to create progress in
your quest to travel along the path to a qepHom. It is probably
better to break this down into a couple sentences. qepHomDaq
jIjeSmeH chongnISlaw' laHwIj. wej chong. jIloSlI'.

That is closer to what you actually mean. Meanwhile, it is very
inaccurate. I'll relate this to qep'a', another event where some
beginners don't attend because they think they need to be very
skilled with the language before they attend:

~mark explained to me that at the Klingon camp that happened the
year before the first qep'a', only Krankor could speak Klingon to
a degree that would have been considered conversational if he had
actually had anyone to converse with. ~mark mostly gawked at
Krankor's skill with fascination. He was sufficiently inspired to
show up a year later at qep'a' wa'DIch having built enough skill
with the language such that, he, too, was conversational. The
rest of us mostly gawked at their skill with fascination. Several
of us were sufficiently inspired to show up at qep'a' cha'DIch
beginning to be able to speak the language and the community has
grown ever since. Each year, over half of the people at qep'a'
struggle to put together a few words in something like a
sentence every now and then with much encouragement from others.
Every joke is celebrated. Experts patiently help beginners
(because it really is fun to see people "get it") and beginners
work together to improve their skills.

qep'a' has a lot of social activity and silly fun in addition to
the honest hard work on the language. For those who have
achieved conversational skills, it is a time to celebrate a rare
opportunity to use the language.

Then you get to enjoy the Klingon Cabaret where Krankor might be
coaxed to sing "Stairway to Gilligan's Island" one more time. We
all sing {taHjaj wo'} whenever the opportunity arises (and it
often does). And there are those magical performances, like
~mark and Krankor doing their Klingon version of "Who's on
First?" which was STUNNING. I really hope they'll do a reprise
performance some year. I proudly participated in Earth's first
performance by a Klingon barbershop quartet led by Krankor.

If nothing else, qep'a' is an opportunity for you to meet
Krankor and enjoy his twisted genius.

I also really enjoyed playing in my own adaptation of Monty
Python's "Bring Out Yer Dead" restored to the Original Klingon.

And then there was SuStel's amazing equivalent to "There Was an
Old Lady Who Swallowed a Spider, Who Wiggled and Jiggled and
Tiggled Inside Her". Of course, the swallowed creatures were all
Klingon, but he did it in rhyme and meter at a pace that breaks
all barriers as a tongue twister. It brought down the house.

And there was David Barron's theatrical portrayal of a joke
about a Klingon, a Romulan, a Ferengi and a fly.

Or r'Hul's impressive performance (In English) of "Weapons Are a
Girl's Best Friend". Suitably attired.

And all those games of poQ'ar, which bears a remarkable
resemblance to poker. Careful. Krankor will walk away with your
money. A penny here. A nickel there. He walks down the hall
sounding even more armored than he is, as he is burdened by the
weight of years of your accumulated pocket change.

Soft drinks and pizza. Greasepaint and latex. Cleavage. mu'qaD
veS in the swimming pool. Polite waitresses pretending that this
happens to them every day, as they work through an interpretor
to figure out what Qov and Krankor want to eat, since neither of
them will speak any English on such an outing. I still remember
Qov discussing the menu with peHruS in Klingon and then having
peHruS order the meal in Chinese. That was the same night that
Pam, who speaks no Klingon, drove while Qov, refusing to speak
anything BUT Klingon, had the map. peHruS translated both ways
while I cowered in a corner, praying that we'd get to the dance
in one piece, and REALLY hoping that we didn't get pulled for
some minor traffic violation and then get interaction between
Qov and the police.

In short, there are few opportunities for a better vacation.
It's not just a trip to Philadelphia. IT'S AN ADVENTURE!

Plan on being there. You don't have to have great skill with the
language. You just have to have an open mind. Make yourself
available for a fascinating experience that will definitely
accellerate your interest in the language (or extinguish it
entirely -- Nobody has seen yoDtargh, a former BG, since his
appearance at a qep'a' several years ago).

I miss yoDtargh. I miss Magic.

I could be wrong, but I think that Krankor, ~mark, Lawrence and
I are the only people who have been to ALL of the qep'a' so
far. Holtej has been to most of them as has SuStel. I can tell
you that I definitely intend to be there again and heavily
encourage you to start making plans now to be there. It will
change your life.

And a qepHom or two could at least nudge it some.

> jenwI'
> *mutta'* tuq
> [email protected]
> http://www.nine9.ukshells.co.uk