tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 15 09:55:17 1999

RE: KLBC: The Klingon Hamlet? (also WOTD)

> This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, December 15, 1999.
>
> Klingon word:   pIm
> Part of Speech: verb
> Definition:     be different

DaHjaj tlhIngan Hol mu' vIlo' 'e' vInID.
= I'm going to try to use the Klingon Word of The Day.
(Hmmm... how does one say "Klingon Word of The Day", since the above
might be interpreted as "Today I will use a Klingon word.")

Maybe this is better:
tlhIngan Hol DaHjaj mu' vIlo' 'e' vInID.
= I'm going to try to use the Klingon language's word of today.

"Andeen, Eric" wrote:
> > Doch wa' / Item #1
> > The Klingon Hamlet
> >
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671035789/o/qid=944998921/sr=8-1/002-2163916-7053056
>
> > nuq 'oH paqvam'e'?  qonpu' KLI beqpu'?
> > What's this book?  Is it by the KLI?
>
> HIja'. paqvam qonbej tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.

chay' "hardcover Hamlet"vo' pIm paqvam?
= How is this book different from the hardcover version of Hamlet?
(Not really sure how to use <pIm> "be different" to say "be
different *from*".  I may be abusing the Klingon meaning of
<-vo'> here.)

Maybe instead:
"hardcover Hamlet" rurbe'chugh paqvam chay' pIm?
= If it's not the same as the hardcover Hamlet then how's it different?
(This seems clumsier but avoids using "different *from*".)

[When I refer to "hardcover Hamlet" here, I am talking about
"Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, the Restored Klingon Version" which
was put out by the KLI in 1996.]

> > ghaH 'Iv <Dave Stern>'e'?
> > Who is "Dave Stern"?  (Not sure if I have the word order right here.)
>
> You don't. Unlike English, Klingon doesn't alter its word order at all for
> questions. <'Iv> and <nuq> go in exactly the same place their answer would
> go:
>
> 'Iv ghaH <Dave Stern>'e'?
>
> 'ej <Dave Stern> vISovbe' jIH.

Hmm... I seem to recall <SoH 'Iv>, perhaps from PK?  I am thinking that
it should be <'Iv SoH> according to what you wrote.

--
De'vID

Get free personalized email at http://yahoo.iname.com

Back to archive top level