tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 14 10:59:46 1999

Re: RE: KLBC: ja'

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:28:16 -0600 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> : As a final example, consider <jach>. <jach> is "scream", and based on
> : Okrand's comments on verbs of speaking, I am guessing it probably can't take
> : an object at all, except maybe <bey>. In this case, if I were screaming at
> : someone, I would say something like:
> :
> : jIjachtaHvIS petaQ vIja' < . . . >
>
>   'IwlIj jachjaj!
>   May your blood scream! [toast] CK
>
>   jach SuvwI' 'e' yIQoy!
>   Hear the warrior cry out! TKW
>
>   Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'.  Heghtay luloptaHvIS chaH chaq
>    bey SeQ lujach
>   other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of
>    the Klingon death ritual. S31
>
>   beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'
>   others [i.e. Klingons] roar in great crescendo. S31
>
> Two examples without an object, two with; so we know that {jach} at least can
> be used both ways.

It should be noted that the object in both cases is {bey}.
Perhaps there are similar nouns that could be used as object for
{jach}, but it would almost certainly be wrong to use some other
direct object, like a person you are crying to, or to use it as
a verb of speech or otherwise use it transitively for some other
kind of noun.

> : pagh
> : Beginners' Grammarian
>

> --