tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 14 10:36:16 1999

RE: KLBC: ja'

: <Qum> is different again. I suspect the most common use of <Qum> is like
: <maQum> - "we communicate" - with no object at all. It also seems reasonable
: that <Qum> could take an object like <De'>, although it seems just as
: possible that it cannot take an object at all. If it can, then it behaves a
: lot like <jatlh> or <nob> in this case (although it is not a verb of
: speaking): the recipient of the information gets a <-vaD>, and the prefix
: trick can be applied.

AFAIK, the only two times Maltz/Okrand has used the verb {Qum} in a sentence
are:

  jIQum
  I communicate.
  (ST:Continuum's Klingon Linguistic Studies)

  naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.
  [not translated]
  (MSN expert.forum BBS, Okrand to SuStel 11/96)

Both examples are intransitive FWIW (and the first isn't terribly useful).  I
think the court is still out on {Qum} until we have more examples.

: As a final example, consider <jach>. <jach> is "scream", and based on
: Okrand's comments on verbs of speaking, I am guessing it probably can't take
: an object at all, except maybe <bey>. In this case, if I were screaming at
: someone, I would say something like:
:
: jIjachtaHvIS petaQ vIja' < . . . >

  'IwlIj jachjaj!
  May your blood scream! [toast] CK

  jach SuvwI' 'e' yIQoy!
  Hear the warrior cry out! TKW

  Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'.  Heghtay luloptaHvIS chaH chaq
   bey SeQ lujach
  other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of
   the Klingon death ritual. S31

  beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'
  others [i.e. Klingons] roar in great crescendo. S31

Two examples without an object, two with; so we know that {jach} at least can
be used both ways.

: pagh
: Beginners' Grammarian

--