tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 12 09:20:39 1999

Re: Nautical Directions/Navigation

In Star Trek V, we see some of this.  When Captain Kirk transmits his
"coordinates" (he's really just giving a bearing; spacial coordinates
require three numbers), he says "Zero zero zero mark two."  In Klingon,
Captain Klaa says {He pagh pagh pagh DoD cha' yInab} "Plan course zero zero
zero mark two" (though the subtitle gives "plan" as "set," and is the
smoother translation).  Was this simply Klaa using the Federation
coordinates because Kirk did, or do Klingons use the same system?

Earlier in the movie, Klaa says {nImbuS wej maghoS; He yInab}.  I believe
the subtitle is "Set course for Nimbus III."  Note that {maghoS} should be
{wIghoS}.  {nImbuS wej wIghoS; He yInab} "We're going to Nimbus III.  Plan a
course."

SuStel
Stardate 99947.2