tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 10 17:05:17 1999

RE: KLBC: tlhIngan Hol vIqeq vIneH

Welcome to the list, De'vID. You obviously already know the rules, so have
fun!

jatlh De'vID:

> tlhIngan Hol vIlo' 'e' vIqeq vIneH.
> = I would like to practise using tlhIngan Hol.
> (Is "tlhIngan Hol vIqeq vIneH" alright here?)

Your first sentence is definietly fine. The second one is fine too - I think
you can practice a language.

> jIlIH'eghneS.
> = I am pleased to introduce myself.

Since <-neS> is used for "extreme politeness or deference", I would not
expect it to be used by anyone addressing me. I am honored, though.

> Star Trek vIparHa', 'ej tlhInganpu' vIparHa'qu'.
> = I like Star Trek, and I especially like Klingons.

Marc Okrand at one point (I don't remember where) called Star Trek <Hov
leng> and it has stuck, at least among the subscribers of this mailing list.
It's also perfectly OK to use just plain "Star Trek".

> 'ach wej tlhIngan Hol pong vIghaj.
> = But I do not yet have a Klingon name.

qay'be'. ponglIj DawIvtaHvIS yIyep. yItuv. DuyonmoHchu'bogh pong yIwIv.
Be careful in choosing your Klingon name. Be patient. Chose one that suits
you well.

> DIvI' Hol pong 'oH <<David>> 'e'.
> = My Federation standard language (i.e. English)
> name is David.
<pongwIj>, qar'a'?

> 'ej Huch vISuqmeH, De'wI' jonwI' Qu' vIta'taH.
> = And I am a computer engineer.  (I don't know
> of any canon way to describe a career in Klingon.)

You made a good attempt at it. I usually just say <De'wI' vIghun>, but I
don't really like the whole "engineer" thing anyway when it applies to
software design.

> vaj, tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhtaHvIS,
> "De'vID"vad jIpong'egh vIneH.

A little problem with <pong> here - the beneficiary of the action (the thing
with the <-vaD>) should be the person who is named, not the name itself. The
name is the direct object of the verb.

When naming oneself, the safest thing to say is <jIHvaD De'vID vIpong>. Some
people are willing to say <De'vID vIpong'egh>, using a logical extension of
the "prefix trick". A conservative interpretation of the grammar as we know
it does not allow this, though.

> pIj De'wI' vIghuntaH, 'ej vIDbogh De' Qobbogh
> De' ?joq? rur pongvam.
> = So, I would like my Klingon name to be "De'vID".
> I often work with computers, and this name
> sounds like "belligerent, dangerous computer
> data".  (Hmm... maybe like a computer virus?)
> [Also in the above, is it ?joq? or ?qoj?, and
> does it go between or after the -bogh clauses?]

This is a very interesting question. Since you've repeated the noun, it's
fine to use a noun conjunction like <joq> after both nouns. If you had not
repeated the noun, <qoj> would work between the clauses.

The interesting questions are: Can you use <qoj> as well if you repeat the
noun? Can you use <joq> if you don't? These require some thought.

> ghunbogh SuvwI'na' pong 'oH pongvam 'e', qar'a'?
> = Truly a warrior-programmer's name, isn't it?
No space between <pongvam> and <-'e'>.

> pongvam ghaj'a' latlh?
> = Anyone else with this name?
pagh vISov.

> (I also want to ask, does it mean anything or have
> any connotations, but I can't find the word for
> "meaning".  I understand that the KLI's translation
> of the Bible used "DavID", is that correct?)
I don't know, but I can't see how it could be anything else.

> I am here to learn, so feel free to slay my mistakes!
Qaghmey vIHoH reH 'e' vItIv. muwwHaHaHa!

Very good first message. ghorgh tlhIngan Hol DaHaDchoH?

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ