tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 08 07:27:57 1999

Re: Verbs of speaking

ja' pagh:

> If I remember correctly, Okrand has said the <jatlh> and
> <ja'> are pretty much the only verbs of speaking. None of
> the other verbs related to speaking, like <ghItlh>, <jach>,

jang ghunchu'wI' 'utlh.  ja':

> That information wasn't quite explicit in the interview
> conducted by charghwI', but it was strongly suggested.
> However, on page 67 of TKD, Okrand did provide a list
> of sorts:

>  "Similarly, with verbs of saying (say, tell, ask, etc.),..."

jang DloraH.  ja':

> But after TKD we have the interview in HolQeD 28
> (Dec 98) p7 "He asked me. He said, 'blah, blah, blah.'"

DIoraH's "jang. ja' <blah, blah, blah>" construction seems to be the
accepted wisdom these days. Is ghunchu'wI' casting doubt on this ('e'
vItulbej)? I've written some brief verses with dialogue, and the forced
repetition of *ja'* is getting awfully monotonous.

qa'ral

Back to archive top level