tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 17:52:06 1999

Re: Translating the word "Klingon" into other languages?

>Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:42:02 CST
>From: Marc Ruehlaender <[email protected]>
>

>> Welsh: Y iaith Klingon (maybe iaith y Klingon would be better?)
>
>hmmm, I'm not a native speaker, so this is mere speculation...
>wouldn't the person be Clingonwr/Clingonwraig, pl. Clingonwyr/
>Clingonwragedd? using the English as a basis for derivation.
>
>then it'd be "iaith Clingonwyr" to follow the "Language of ..."
>pattern, and "Clingoneg" for "Klingon, the language"

Hmm... Interesting; I hadn't thought of that.  But it wouldn't be
Clingonwr; more likely just Clingon (as you say, compare with English: Sais
(Englishman), Saesnes (Englishwoman), Saeson (English people), Saesneg
(English language), modulo some possible misspellings).  That'd give
us... Clingon, Clingones, Clingoneg (not sure about the plural, though.
Welsh pluralizes in many ways, and -on is already a plural suffix.
Clingonoedd?  Clingonydd? I dunno).  Not sure about the others, but I bet
"Clingoneg" would be quite understandable to a Welsh Star-Trek fan, as
understandable as "Klingonese" to an Anglophone one.

>if we'd use the Klingon tlhIng ngan as basis for derivation,
>we'd get something like Llingro, Llingraes, Llingry and
>iaith Llingry, Llingraeg? maybe. maybe not.

Not quite; you're working off Cymro/Cymraes/Cymry/Cymraeg as your basis,
and that one's a little different.  The -ro ending isn't the "man" ending,
it's part of the stem (actually, "cymro" is some worn-down old form of
something like cyd+bro, referring to someone who is from the same country
("bro")).  Oh, and I think nationalities often use -es for feminine, not
-wraig.  Oh, wait, you're deriving more like Americanwr/Americanwraig?
That might work, yielding Llingwr/Llingwraig, presumably Llingeg for the
language?  Mmm, much less transparent than Clingoneg.

~mark

Back to archive top level