tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 02 13:36:28 1999

Re: adverb suffixes???

ja' Marc Okrand:
>Whether this {-Ha'} can be added to all adverbials is not clear.
>The notes taken while working with Maltz indicate that he balked
>at {vajHa'} ('not thus'?) but accepted {Do'Ha'} 'unfortunately'.
>Information on other adverbials has not yet been uncovered, though
>it is probably in the notes somewhere.

jatlh *pagh:
>A disproportionate number of Klingon speakers seem to be computer
>programmers, and for many of us, <vajHa'> seems natural for "else", as in an
>"if ... then ... else" clause in most programming languages. Marc Okrand is
>not a computer programmer, and his comment on <vajHa'> reminded those of us
>who are that most people (Klingon or Human) are not.

Hmm...I rather like that idea. Perhaps Maltz isn't a computer programmer
either. He may not be familiar with computer languages. Maybe {vajHa'} is
used only in certain fields, such as computer programming, not in general
usage. Remember that in English, computer programming keywords are often
different from normal language. For example, BASIC uses the Boolean operator
XOR. We, of course, never say "xor" in normal English. Other examples are
plentiful. tlhIngan Hol source code almost certainly looks very different
from normal tlhIngan Hol.

' tlhIngan ghunta'ghach
HuvjIH
"nuqneH, qo'?" cha'