tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 01 15:12:45 1999

RE: adverb suffixes???

> Why couldn't I use verb suffixes to the adverbs?

The same reason you can't use noun suffixes on verbs - the grammar just
doesn't allow it. We do know that some adverbials can take <-Ha'>, but
that's it. I don't remember the exact list, but I know it includes
<batlhHa'>, <Do'Ha'>, and <pIjHa'>.

> Wouldn't they fit neatly? Think about these examples:
> chIchHa' qaqIt.

Use <bong> instead of <chIchHa'>.

> SIbI'be' qajanglaH. tugh qajang.

DaH qajanglaHbe'.

> pe'vIllaw' Dujvetlh SeH SoDvetlh. motlhbe' ghaH.

I'm not sure what the <-law'> would mean, even if it were allowed. Are you
uncertain as to the force of the control? How's this for your idea:
<Dujvetlh SeHbej SoDvetlh, 'ej ghaytan pe'vIl SeH> ?

Also, the pronoun in the second sentence should be <'oH> - neither a <Duj>
nor a <SoD> can speak.

> bonglaH ghaH DaHoHpu'. 'ach DaHoHpu' SoH.

This should clearly be <chaq bong>. You were trying to say "It could be
accidental that you killed him", and <-laH> does not work for this kind of
"can/could", even on verbs. <-laH> is only for the ability of the subject of
the verb to do the action of the verb, as in <jIlaDlaH> or <jIpujlaw', 'ach
qaHoHlaHbej>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ