tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 25 17:06:14 1999

Re: One of the new words

Patrick Masterson wrote:
: I remember someone just mentioned the new word for "a god, supernatural
: being" a few days ago, but I deleted that message (my inbox fills up
: quickly) and I forgot to write it down. (Silly me.) What was it? (I think
it
: was "Qun" or something, but I want to make sure.)

Here's the relevant part from Okrand's 7/19/99 post to the startrek.klingon
newsgroup on "Star Trek: Continuum":

"There is a Klingon word that could be translated 'god' or 'supernatural
being': {Qun}. In talking of times long ago (pre-Kahless?), Klingons
mention these beings, and there seem to have been a good number of them
(the plural of {Qun} is {Qunpu'} since they are or were presumably capable
of using language, which is what the plural suffix {-pu'} implies). Though
too little is known of ancient Klingon theology, there doesn't seem to have
been a single {Qun} that stood out from the rest. Indeed, the {Qunpu'}
appear to have acted collectively. {Qunpu'} are distinct from {qa'pu'}
'spirits' (such as the spirits of the dishonored dead which reside at
Gre'thor). {Qun'a'} 'great god' ({Qun} plus {-'a'}, the augmentative
suffix) may or may not be an appropriate translation for a single
supernatural being in a monotheistic system, since the {Qun'a'} would still
be one among many."

: PS I noticed at the new word list at the KLI site, also listed are words
: from one half of the dictionary missing in the other. Here's one: not in
the
: English to Klingon side of TKD, rejmorgh, "worrywart, someone who worries
: too much"
:
:
: Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com