tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 24 15:39:24 1999

RE: greetings

ja' Holtej:
>That's like saying that <SQ> doesn't need to be differentiated from <SngQ>.
><'> is a consonant, Paramount writers notwithstanding.
>...You're not the first to use a
>name that doesn't follow Klingon phonology.  There was {r'Hul}, who argued
>strongly for her name.

Both {S'Qal} and {r'Hul} work similarly for me.  {S} and {r} are extended
sounds that I can treat a little like vowels when they precede a stop.

>I try not to think about how I'd pronounce names like {DloraH}.  :)

*I* pronounce the {Dl} in {DloraH} as a voiced retroflex {tlh}.  He's
never complained about it. :-)

>If nothing else, it will give you a name by which we can come to identify
>you.  Enjoy, and welcome!

Agreed.  ponglIj DawIv rIntaH.  DaH pISovlaH.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level