tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 24 18:32:52 1999

KLBC: Messing around with Shakespeare

Ok, pagh. Before you start freaking out, I am *NOT* translating Romeo and
Juliet (not yet, but I call dibs if no one else has them! Maybe in three
years or so!)

I was browsing that Much Ado About Nothing translation that has been talked
about as of late, and I thought maybe trying my hand at a few of the cast of
characters in Romeo and Juliet might be fun. The parentheses contain the
English text and my comments. Note that I am in no way attempting to be
graceful or poetic - that can some someday later.

lutvaD Da ghotvam: (Dramatis Personae - Ii stole that *grin*)

	jatlhwI’pu’ (chorus - I translated as "speaking people")
	esqaluS	- verona’ che’ ghaH (Prince of Verona)
	paHrIS	- Qup joH,  esqaluS loDnI’HomwI’ (kinsman of Escalus - I had no good
word for "cousin", the usual meaning of kinsman)

	mantayghu	|
			|	qorDu’mey luDev chaH ‘e’ jaghmey chaH (Heads of two houses at variance
with each other)
	Qa’pulet  	|

How would others here improve upon this?

Back to archive top level