tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 21 18:33:22 1999

Re: greetings

ja' S'Qal ("marian danzig" <[email protected]>):
>greetings all!

naDev Dalajlu'bej.  Welcome.

>however, i have been thinking about a klingon name for myself.
>after a great deal of thought ;-) , i have come up with S'Qal.

In the DS9 episode "Way of the Warrior", Worf and an old family
friend sing a Klingon drinking song.  The words are not easy to
understand, and they don't seem to follow "modern" grammar, but
one of the lines seems to say something about how "the River
Skral ran red" when Kahless slew Molor.

>it is a 'transliteration' of my nickname, skull (but i used <Q> instead of
><q> cos i thought it looked better on paper).

I think how a name sounds is more important than how it looks,
but that's just my opinion.

>now, if i understand correctly, this would be pronounced something
>like "Sh-ih-krarl" with almost imperceptible pronunciation
>of the -ih-, yes?

That's about how it would come out of my mouth, except for that
extra "r" before the "l".  The -ih- would likely be *completely*
imperceptible, since I'd try hard to treat the {S} as if it were
a vowel and have it go right into the {'} glottal stop.  However,
we'll pronounce it any way you tell us to.  It's your name, and
if you insist that "Raymond Luxury-yacht" is actually pronounced
"throat-warbler mangrove" we'll just have to accept it. :)

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level