tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 18 04:46:35 1999

greetings

greetings all!
i have been lurking on this mailing kist for several weeks now
reading and collating all your messages into coherent 'intructional
passages' on disk for a while now, so i thought it might be time
for me to at least introduce myself and say hi.

i am marian danzig, kli member #j2006, and live in australia.
i'm afraid i can not speak any klingon as yet, because my
old icelandic and latin lessons are taking up quite a bit of my time (as
well as my other study obligations at uni!) so i won actually be posting
anything more until the new year, when i have graduated, and have some time
to begin learning tlhIngan Hol.

however, i have been thinking about a klingon name for myself.
after a great deal of thought ;-) , i have come up with S'Qal.
it is a 'transliteration' of my nickname, skull (but i used <Q> instead of
<q> cos i thought it looked better on paper).
now, if i understand correctly, this would be pronounced something
like "Sh-ih-krarl" with almost imperceptible pronunciation
of the -ih-, yes?
please correct me if i am wrong. i may change either the spelling or the
whole name at a later date, particularly if i find out what
the klingon word for 'skull' is (hint hint).

to wrap up, i have a question that will get you thinking pagh, and probably
the rest of you as well,  ghunchu'wI', chargh'wI' voragh
and the others, as well as sparking responses from peHruS, QuljIb and pI'lo.
heh heh heh. so here goes:
what are the 'names' of the letters in the klingon alphabet? (ie in english
we have 'ay' 'bee' 'see' 'cue' 'ess' 'double-u' 'wy' etc).
most of them for all intents and puposes would be the same, like a, t, y,
etc, but it gets kind of tedious saying 'big q', 'little q', and
'apostrophe' (not to mention 'the t-l-h ligature'!), so do they have names?
and to that fellow that was doing the bible in klingon:
       DONT STOP!!!!

i have hamlet in klingon, as well as the obvious stuff like tkd,
kgt, tkw, etc, but the bible would be unreal, as would the iliad.
please keep going.

well, thats me done; next time you hear from will be in a few months
and in klingon!! til then, i'm going back to lurking and reading pI'lo's
very interesting and thought-provoking questions.

S'Qal