tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 20 10:57:24 1999

RE: KLBC / Hurgh SIrgh

ja'pu' pIl'o':
>>> Qe' matlhwIjDaq  jIHtaH.
>>> . . .
>>> *newspaper  naQ  vIlaDnISlaw'.
>>> roD  SeQ  wanI'vam.

jIja'pu':
>> SeQ'a'?

jang pIl'o'. ja':
> ritual. something I do in my almost pre-conscious
> state as the caffeine starts to kick.

Looking at the other definitions of <SeQ> - "be formal, ceremonial", I don't
think this use of "ritual" works. Nice try, though. How about <motlh>?

>>> muba'bogh  HuD'a' rurtaH DaHjaj'e'.
>
>> <ba'> is "sit", not "sit on", so it probably cannot take an
>> object, and the thing sat upon must be a locative. We have
>> a very nice canon example - <quSDaq ba'lu''a'?> - "Is this
>> seat taken?" - from the list of useful expressions in the
>> TKD appendix. Also, I think the <ba'> calls for a <-taH>,
>> but the <rur> does not really need one.
>
>             how about: < mubeQmoH HuH'a' rur DaHjaj'e'.>

You want <HuD> rather than <HuH>. Also, you need to connect the verb
<mubeQmoH> to <rur> somehow - right now the sentence has two main verbs,
which is bad. You could go with <mubeQmoHbogh HuD'a' rur DaHjaj'e'>, or you
could get really weird and go with <mubeQmoH HuD'a' 'e' rur DaHjaj'e'>. The
second one is definitely very strange to English speakers (and maybe Klingon
speakers as well), so make sure you understand it before you use it.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ