tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 20 11:22:51 1999

RE: jatlh pagh KLBC

jatlh Kathleen:

> My thanks pagh
> boQlIj vIlo' vIneH
maj.

> tlhIngan Hol QInwIj cha'DIch majlaw'
Everything's perfect up until the last word. <maj> is an exclamation, used
all by itself, and can't really be used in a sentence like this. You could
use <QaQ> instead. Also, a verb acting as an adjective cannot take any
suffix other than <-Ha'>, <-be'> and <-qu'>.

You're trying to say "My apparently good second Klingon message". Why not
turn it around and make a whole sentence out of "My second Klingon message
is apparently good". For that, you just put the verb <QaQlaw'> before the
noun it's describing:

QaQlaw' tlhIngan Hol QInwIj cha'DIch.

> jIghojQIt 'ach, 'a jIghoj

<QIt> is an adverbial, not a suffix, so it goes before the verb. You also
have an extra <'a> in there.

QIt jIghoj, 'ach jIghoj.

'ej batlh bIghoj. You're doing well. yIHem.

> laHwIj vIDub

maj. pup.

> Now the name thing (spurred on by S'Qal). How do I go
> about this. I thought about something in Klingon that
> meant something like cat, as I am called that all the
> time. A shortening of my name (Kathleen) to Kat. I
> also behave like one I am told, though that is on a
> night out. Any ideas?

Well, <qat> is pretty close in sound to "Kat", and it's easy to type. It
also sounds nice when spoken (at least I think so). It is a verb meaning
"wrap" or "encase", and it also is used to describe musical accompaniment to
singing. Both charghwI' and ghunchu'wI' have also used it to describe the
way lovers hold each other.

The Klingon word for the closest Klingon thing to a housecat is <vIghro'>
(say it out loud to spot the pun). There is also another animal called a
<chemvaH>, which I think a is really nice sounding word. I imagine the
<chemvaH> as a rather large, feline looking animal. We also know that
Klingon females tend to growl like <chemvaHmey> during courtship rituals if
they are interested in the man who is approaching them (or whom they are
approaching). Get hold of a copy of the Conversational Klingon audiotape if
you want to know (and hear) more about this.

You could also make up a name just for the sound that doesn't mean anything.

Don't be too anxious to choose a name, though. You can certainly change it
later on, but once you choose a name, it gets attached to you and you get
attached to it. It's better to wait a while and find a name you really like.

The FAQ has a whole section on this:
http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm#2.2

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian