tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 18 19:16:40 1999

Re: *muSHa'* yImuSHa'!

T'Lod:
>I truly think Klingon would have a verb meaning "to feel a deep and ...
>to a person," but not be used in the many ways Americans use it today.

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh
: qatlh qechvamvaD wot'e' tu'nISlu'?  DIp pov wIghajbej: <bang>.

... as well as {parmaqqay} for the person not to mention {parmaq} for the
emotion/physical state itself.  Marc Okrand on {parmaq}:

"We do know that there is a Klingon word for 'love', meaning something like
what we mean by the word. It is {parmaq}. We heard this word for the first
time
in a recent episode of Deep Space Nine where Dax says that {parmaq} is 'the
Klingon word for "love," but with more aggressive overtones.' She accuses Worf
of having a 'bad case' of {parmaq}, which suggests it's a noun. ...
Unfortunately, so far, that's about all we know about the Klingon word for
love. I'll have to do some additional research to find out how the word is
used
correctly in a sentence. Since it's Klingon love we're talking about here, I
wouldn't be surprised to learn that it doesn't work in at all the same way as
the Federation Standard word love. I'll get back to you on this in the
future... I realize this doesn't help much; it raises more questions than it
answers. But when it comes to matters of the heart..." (st.k 12/96)

"... {parmaq}, conventionally translated 'love' or 'romance' (though the
Klingon concept is far more aggressive than the Federation Standard
translations imply)" (KGT p.199)

We're still waiting for Okrand to get back to us on how it all works.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level