tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 18 08:00:15 1999

Re: S'Qal / KLBC

>Mailing-List: contact [email protected]; run by ezmlm
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 06:00:40 -0800
>From: Pillow <[email protected]>
>
>> ja' S'Qal:
>> what are the 'names' of the letters in the klingon alphabet? (ie in english
>> we have 'ay' 'bee' 'see' 'cue' 'ess' 'double-u' 'wy' etc).
>> most of them for all intents and purposes would be the same, like a, t, y,
>> etc, but it gets kind of tedious saying 'big q', 'little q', and
>> 'apostrophe' (not to mention 'the t-l-h ligature'!), so do they have names?
>
>You know, S'Qal, I was just wondering about that.....I was translation an old
>post in which SuStel & charghwI' were discussing their mutual dislikes of my
>personal drug of choice <qa'vIn> suddenly QoghIjwIj went "Clunk!" and FINALLY I
>*got* <veychorgh>  DUHhhhh....  But where does the <vey> come from? Is it merely
>a phonetic spelling of the letter-sound? Is it okie-dokie to do the Klingon
>phonetic job on non-Klingon proper names? It was confusing as ghe''or to attempt
>the translation of that sentence without being able to find that word in my
>dictionaries.
>    toH, do we put *'aywa'* on our Ha'DIbaH?
>        Is a *bI'vaghmaHcha'* made of Kahlua, Bailey's and GrandMarnier?
>            Do you eat *qel'oghDaj  le'qay* for breakfast?.
>                of course I am being facetious.
>                    (*not puv Dochvam*<English idioms don't work either)
>    Qu'vatlh! 6am, Alaska time. jIQongnISqu'!
>        pItlh.               pIl'o' (formerly pI'lo)

Ack!  No. Nononononono.  And no.  No.

Did I mention No?

Sorry...

OK... Let's explain.

First off, the word is {vIychorgh}; {*veychorgh} was a misspelling on
charghwI''s part.  It is true that there is a horrible pun with "V-8"
vegetable drink going on here, but it ISN'T our doing!  Blame Okrand for
that.  {vIychorgh} is listed in KGT as meaning "juice, sap of a plant".
Obviously Okrand was going for the pun (which we eventually got), but
OKRAND made it so.  It's just the word for "juice".  Which is why the
discussion mentioned "orange vIychorgh" and "tomato vIychorgh" and so on.
They weren't coining a new word, and no, it isn't okay to do that unless
you're Marc Okrand (and I've seen him and pictures of you, and while you
might fool some people, my keen eyes can spot the subtle differences
between you.  For one thing, you have longer hair).

Doing stuff like what you said could work in casual slang conversation, but
please avoid it on the list, where newcomers might pick it up and be
confused.  And also be careful lest Marc hear you!  (Remember the story of
'I').  And remind me to tell you about "HIllel" someday (or even qarDaS)...

~mark

Back to archive top level