tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 20:25:07 1999

Re: Vowels

ja' HomDoq
> If you wanted to type a whole text in "Klingon script",
>  you could probably do away with the Makro-starting
>  character and just type the romanization.
>  You'd still have to tell the program, where the syllable ends.
>
>  This way you don't have to put the glyphs together from
>  existing phonetic symbols (somewhat like Hangul for Korean),
>  which, if I understand correctly, is what you are doing now?
>
>  Each glyph could be unique, as it will only be printed,
>  after the full syllable is known.
>
>  This would even allow you to make up different glyphs for
>  homonyms and let the program give you a selection of which
>  glyph to print for the syllable you typed (this is, I believe,
>  one method used for typing Chinese on western keyboards).

At the college I attend (SUNY New Paltz--go eagles!) we haveloaded on to the
campus computers a program that allows us to type in Japanese.  Here's how it
works: normal typing results in hiragana (cursive) characters.  Typing whilst
in <Caps Lock> prints katakana (simple block letters).  In either syllabery,
if you hit the <Shift> key while typing, the letter will be highlighted and
at the bottom of the screen is a little display of all the Chinese characters
(kanji) that match that sound.  There's also a search feature that lets you
look for kanji by their On (meaning) or kun (pronunciation) readings, or by
radical.  A program like that would go a long way toward establishing a truly
useable "pIqaD".

quljIb

Back to archive top level