tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 09:35:30 1999

Re: Vowels

> To be more accurate, I wanted to be able to type it and my
> available keyboard just didn't cut it. I could actually have
> handled the overprinting of characters in Fontographer just by
> placing the closing consonants to the left of the point of
> origin with a null character width, but finding a meaningful way
> to type in 129 characters in any way that I could memorize... I
> gave up.

you probably could have defined a Makro for each glyph with
something like Meta-G to start a glyph, then the syllable in
Okrandian romanization, then some key to end the makro.

If you wanted to type a whole text in "Klingon script",
you could probably do away with the Makro-starting
character and just type the romanization.
You'd still have to tell the program, where the syllable ends.

This way you don't have to put the glyphs together from
existing phonetic symbols (somewhat like Hangul for Korean),
which, if I understand correctly, is what you are doing now?

Each glyph could be unique, as it will only be printed,
after the full syllable is known.

This would even allow you to make up different glyphs for
homonyms and let the program give you a selection of which
glyph to print for the syllable you typed (this is, I believe,
one method used for typing Chinese on western keyboards).

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level