tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 20:58:45 1999

Re: Attending a school (was RE: Daq vIDabbogh vIchoH)

In a message dated 8/13/99 9:09:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< > In a message dated 8/12/99 3:37:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
 > [email protected] writes:
 >
 > << Look at how surprising {Dub} was. >>
 >
 > chay' mer?

 Most people expected the subject of the gloss "improve" to be
 the entity doing the improving so that {DubmoH} would be the
 form of the verb used when A causes B to improve. Meanwhile,
 Okrand has used {Dub} twice and both times the subject was the
 agent of improvement and the entity improved was the direct
 object. Apparently, were you to add {-moH}, the subject would be
 causing a second entity to improve a third entity.

 If you use the one grammatical example we have of this sort of
 thing which I tend to accept and several others tend to reject,
 the first entity would be the subject, the second entity would
 be the indirect object (using {-vaD) and the third entity would
 be the direct object.

 Most of us were surprised that a bare {Dub} took a direct object.

 > T'Lod

 charghwI'

Daj.
I remember the spark that lit the flames in that thread.  Oh my. jarvam
QInmey law' vIghaj!

T'Lod

Back to archive top level