tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 12 22:01:34 1999

Re: Vowels

In a message dated 8/12/99 12:38:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected]
writes:

<< >The problem with a Klingon syllabary is that there are too many
 >potential syllables. Unlike Cherokee with its 88 syllables,
 >there are over a thousand Klingon syllables:
 >
 >Each of 21 consonants followed by each of five vowels in all
 >combinations, plus each of 21 consonants followed by each of
 >five vowels followed by each of 21 consonants in all possible
 >combinations, plus each of 21 consonants followed by each of
 >five vowels followed by {rgh}, plus each of 21 consonants
 >followed by each of three vowels followed by {w'}, plus each of
 >21 consonants followed by each of five vowels followed by {y'}.
 >
 >If what you are describing is a syllabary, that is a LOT of
 >characters.

If my calculations are correct, there are 2478 possible syllables to a
Klingon logographic system.

On a side, couldn't it be possible that some Klingons use a logographic
system, while others use a phonetic system, similar to the pIqaD demo at the
KLI website?  \

T'Lod

Back to archive top level