tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 10 17:52:48 1999

Re: KLBC / nuqDaq mu'vam?

pIl'o' wrote:

: tetlhvamvo' 'ay' vImughlI' 'e' vInID. 'ach <wab> vISamlaHbe'.

[Since this is just a request for new vocabulary and I happen to have my
notes open just now, I hope BG pagh won't mind if I play through.]

{wab} seems to be a general noun meaning "sound, noise".

Related nouns include {QoQ} "music" ("meaning musical sound, whether or not
a Klingon voice is participating in producing this sound" (MO in HolQeD
2.4), {QIch} "speech (i.e. vocal sounds)", {ghogh} "voice" and {bom} "song,
chant".

: ps: mu'vam Halchu'meH nuq?

qayajbe'.  {Hal} is a noun meaning "source, supply" and so can't take verb
suffixes.  Do you mean, "What's the source for this word?"  {mu'vam Hal 'oH
nuq'e'?}

Marc Okrand first used it just this year (2/99) in a post on how Klingons
tell time on the Star Trek: Continuum newsgroup startrek.klingon, which
Lawrence published in HolQeD 8.1 (March 1999).  The example Okrand used was:

  'arlogh wab Qoylu'pu'?
  How many times has someone heard the sound?
  How many times has the sound been heard?

which is a traditional, non-military way of asking, "What time is it?"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level