tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 08 20:28:28 1999

Re: canon words

ja' pIl'o':
>I cannot find <qen>. If someone cold enlighten me + tell me the source.
>(is it a canon word?)

Okrand occasionally answers questions in the startrek.klingon newsgroup on
the news.startrek.com server, an online presence officially supported by
Paramount and Viacom.  He mentioned {qen} "recently, a short while ago"
back in January or February as part of an explanation of how to tell and
ask about what time it is.

> about canon words:  I was at HetaQ's martial arts camp the day the verb
><bob'It> was "born". Am I correct to assume it is not a canon word? What
>is the policy for using such words?

The "policy" is that using such words is to be avoided.  Unless you can be
quite certain that absolutely everyone will have a good chance of being
able to look it up in an "official" list, you should not use a word.  You
should certainly not use a coined word except in a joking context.  Of
course, that's just *my* opinion.

>I have noticed a few words on the
>data base which are not TKD, KGT, or qep'a' source words.

To what "data base" are you referring?

>Are these the only canon sources?
>What the heck does "canon" really mean?

The "policy" is that anything authoritatively written by Marc Okrand counts
as canonical tlhIngan Hol.  This is so we can stay away from dialectical
splits where small groups start using vocabulary unknown to other groups.
As long as there is a clearly defined test for "approved" words, we will be
better able to remain as a cohesive group speaking the same language.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level