tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 08 19:34:12 1999

RE: KLBC / SIrgh chu'

>Date: Fri, 06 Aug 99 16:22:15 EST
>
>We know that Klingons think of a day as dawn to dawn (which wouldn't work
>too well in your part of the world), so a Klingon in your situation would
>probably say <ramvam> as well.

I dunno why this is considered a confusing point; I know that I personally
tend to view days as approximately dawn to dawn too.  If I go to bed at
2am, I still refer to the next day as "tomorrow" and not "later today" even
though it's after midnight.  It doesn't become tomorrow until I've gone to
bed and gotten up, or roughly daybreak, whichever comes first.  So it could
start early, if I have to get up at 4am or something.  I suppose if I were
*unexpectedly* and temporarily awakened at 3-4am or something, it would be
a tossup as to whether that happened "last night" or "this morning" (might
depend on whether I went back to sleep).  And you know, I think a lot of
people think this way too: do you REALLY look at your watch at midnight and
suddenly start referring to the just-past day as "yesterday" instead of
"today"?

~mark

Back to archive top level