tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 07:11:38 1999

Re: RE: KLBC: Imperative prefixes

This original post was SOOO tempting to respond to, but it had
KLBC on it, and I trusted pagh to be able to answer it well. As
I expected, several others DID respond to it, but I want to toss
in my vote for pagh's response. I think it does the best job of
answering the question well (though I definitely enjoyed ~mark's
thoughts on this grammar in other languages).

I will add that for me, context dictates what combination of
things I'd use to indicate "Let's go catch the prisoner!"

If the context makes it clear that we are all considering going
to capture the prisoner, but nobody has made a decision on it
yet, I'd just stand up, walk toward the prisoner and yell over
my shoulder {Ha'!} and be done with it. Anybody who can't figure
out what I mean shouldn't be accompanying me anyway.

If there is no such context, then {Ha'! qama' wIjon!} should
work just fine.

And if I'm determined to do this whether anybody else comes
along or not, but I'm feeling gregarious, I'd yell {Ha'! qama'
vIjon! HItlhej!"

charghwI' 'utlh

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:45:55 -0400 "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Nelson asked about "first person imperative" and ~mark responded with a very
> detailed explanation.
>
> jatlh ~mark:
>
> > Option 3:  What I like and generally preferred by grammarians:
> > just say what you mean!  "maja'chuq!":  we will talk.  "qama'
> > wIjon" we go catch the prisoner.  Context will have to provide
> > the exhortative meaning, and it just about always does.  I
> > suppose you could also try "maja'chuqnIS", but that's not quite
> > the same thing.
>
> > So, I know I said MUCH more than I should have.  But that's my
> > answer: Just use the first person and have done with it.
>
> Don't forget about the nice little exclamation <Ha'>. It's defined as "let's
> go, come on", and it does not seem to be limited to physical motion. The way
> I usually express this sort of thing is to just say <Ha'> and then whatever
> the activity is.
>
> Ha'! matlhutlh. - Let's get a drink.
> Ha'! qama' wIjon. - Let's go catch the prisoner.
>
> Also, if I am already planning to do whatever it is I am doing, and want to
> invite/command another to do it with me, I can use <HItlhej> or something
> similar like <HIQaH>.
>
> jItlhutlh. HItlhej! - I'm going for a drink. Join me.
> mawam. ghotlhej! - Hunt with us.
>

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian
>
> tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ