tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 05 15:32:14 1999

RE: KLBC: Imperative prefixes

Nelson asked about "first person imperative" and ~mark responded with a very
detailed explanation.

jatlh ~mark:

> Option 3:  What I like and generally preferred by grammarians:
> just say what you mean!  "maja'chuq!":  we will talk.  "qama'
> wIjon" we go catch the prisoner.  Context will have to provide
> the exhortative meaning, and it just about always does.  I
> suppose you could also try "maja'chuqnIS", but that's not quite
> the same thing.

> So, I know I said MUCH more than I should have.  But that's my
> answer: Just use the first person and have done with it.

Don't forget about the nice little exclamation <Ha'>. It's defined as "let's
go, come on", and it does not seem to be limited to physical motion. The way
I usually express this sort of thing is to just say <Ha'> and then whatever
the activity is.

Ha'! matlhutlh. - Let's get a drink.
Ha'! qama' wIjon. - Let's go catch the prisoner.

Also, if I am already planning to do whatever it is I am doing, and want to
invite/command another to do it with me, I can use <HItlhej> or something
similar like <HIQaH>.

jItlhutlh. HItlhej! - I'm going for a drink. Join me.
mawam. ghotlhej! - Hunt with us.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ