tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 06:36:54 1999

Re: batlh pemugh!

jatlh voqbe'wI':

> bIlugh 'e' vIHarbe'.

> IMHO one cannot reverse the meaning of a Klingon verb by just
> adding the -Ha' suffix, because the implication of -Ha' includes
> a change in state.

> vImuS      I hate it
> vImuSHa' I used to hate it, but now i don't hate it anymore.

> AFAIK (I do not have my TKD with me right now) -Ha' is translated
> *undo*...

This has been a hot topic on the list in recent months, and as I've been
one of the main troublemakers, I thought I'd attempt an answer.  (If I
screw up, the pabpo'pu' will have my heart on a plate, possibly seasoned
with ngat):

Some verbs, when <-Ha>-ed, seem to represent clear cases of undoing:
 "Something that was previously done is now undone" (TKD).  E.g.:

chu' - activate
chu'Ha' - deactivate

nob - give
nobHa' - give back

Sop - eat
SopHa' - vomit

tIj - board
tIjHa' - get off

tuQmoH - put on (clothing)
tuQHa'moH - take off (clothing)

You do have to board a ship before you can disembark.  However, there's a
larger group of verbs (and adverbials) which do not necessarily involve the
reversal of a prior state.  HoD Qanqor in a recent post listed some of
these:

par - dislike
parHa' - like

lob - obey
lobHa' - disobey

bel - be pleased
belHa' - be displeased

tung - encourage
tungHa' - discourage

yep - be careful
yepHa' - be careless

naD - praise, commend, approve
naDHa' - discommend, disapprove

matlh - be loyal
matlhHa' - be disloyal

[Continuing to quote the illustrious HoD:]

"In all of these, a meaning of opposite-of is clearly plain...
You don't have to first be loyal in order to be disloyal...
Frankly, there are more of this kind of meaning for -Ha'
in the dictionary entries than of any OTHER meaning."
(/tlhIngan-Hol/1999/Jul99/0365.html)

Whether these "Do the opposite of" meanings are what MO really had in mind
when he wrote "undo" or, as I have argued, they represent a distinct, third
sense of the suffix is an unresolved issue.

Ever thought of changing your name to voqHa'wI'?

qa'ral

Back to archive top level