tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 04 10:03:57 1999

Re: Errors, mistakes and the evolution of Klingon

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:27:01 -0400 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> nuQum pI'lo:
>
> : jIqontaHvIs mInmeywIj. (when I composed, my eyes were all over the
> : place---<ghIch> was right beneath <ghIgh> on my Palm Pilot.
>
> It happens.  Even Okrand has made this type of error (lapsus oculi?) when
> looking words up in TKD on at least two occasions I can think of off hand.
> And
> in the strange world of Klingonology, Okrand's mistakes usually become canon.
> Sometimes he tries to accomodate them into the grammar or culture at some
> later
> point, sometimes he just ignores them.

Well, at one of the first qep'a'mey, I gave Okrand a printed
copy of my first Annotated Klingon Dictionary in response to him
confessing that he did not have a single listing of all the
words he had created. They were scattered about, written on
different pieces of paper, so he didn't have a single,
alphabetized list of his own words.

Meanwhile, when I created my dictionary, I made exactly this
mistake on two words -- gave the wrong definition to an adjacent
word. In KGT, he repeated my mistake in his word list. Knowing
his sense of humor, I feel certain this was intentional.

It was also very humbling. It reminds me to be very, very
careful; and to always know that I will always make mistakes.

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

charghwI' 'utlh