tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 03 12:03:18 1999

Re: Attending a school

I suppose it's just a Grammarian being difficult, but I *do* use {jeS} with
a direct object.  I don't really have much of a cannon leg to stand on, but
to me, "participate" IS a transitive verb. It just happens that in English
its direct object (which is pretty much always there) is governed by the
preposition "in."  This makes it *syntactically* not transitive, but its
meaning is very much transitive.  OK, I guess that means Okrand should have
glossed it as "participate in" and he didn't.  But I have trouble believing
Klingons would do something so roundabout as stick the object of a
transitive verb in a type-5 noun phrase.  Like I said, I can't properly
justify this.  But I do quite consistently say things like "qep'a' vIjeS."

~mark

Back to archive top level