tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 03 03:26:01 1999

taghwI'pu', may' yItIv!

jatlh Qel:

> and yes pagh, your right, some languages are harder, like
> klingon (thats one i have troubles with).

jang pagh.  jatlh:

> Actually, Klingon is a lot less complex than most natural
> languages, with very few exceptions to the rules. The reason
> it's difficult is that it is very different from English.

Klingon is a minimalist language, if you ask me.  Was Okrand experimenting
to see how much linguistic baggage he could do without?  Just think how
much grief we're spared by not having to deal with articles, gender, tense,
declensions, conjugations, irregular verbs, a subjunctive mood, etc.
 Klingon has no verb "to be", no adjectives (per se), only a handful of
adverbs...  As I see it, all a taghwI' (like me) really has to conquer,
beyond the brute memorization of vocabulary, is the system of
prefixes/suffixes, word order, and a few extra hurdles like complex
sentences and comparatives/superlatives.  Not that it's easy going--the
lack of familiar tools is a challenge in itself--but if you think of it
this way, the task ahead may not seem so daunting.

taghwI'pu', may' yItIv, ves loDnI'pu'lI' DatlhejtaHvIS!

qa'ral

Back to archive top level