tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 01 19:54:38 1999

Re: Adverbials and clauses

voqbe'wI':
> Last night I had problems falling asleep and was playing around a bit
> with Klingon grammar and wondered if clauses can take adverbials to
> modify them.  Like in
> <muleghbe' nom qetbogh loD> "The man who runs fast does not see me"
> or
> <nom qetmo' loD, muleghbe'> "Because the man runs fast, he does not see me"

charghwI':
: I think it is fine for adverbials to modify any verb. The main difference
: between a dependent clause and a main clause is just the Type 9 suffix (or
: -taHvIS} on the verb, so basically, clauses get the same treatment by
: adverbials whether they are main or not.
:
: Your examples all make sense to me.

Agreed.  A few Okrandian examples with adverbials in clauses, dependent and
otherwise:

  pIj maSuvpu'; batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'
  In our many battles, we have fought with honor and achieved
   VICTORY! (Hallmark BoP Commercial)

  pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
  Don't trust those who frequently smile. TKW

  tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

  'oy'naQ Dalo'be'chugh not nenghep lop puq
  If you don't use the painstik, the child will never celebrate his
   Age of Ascension. TKW

  pay' HIvDI' lo'wI' pagh mupDI' QIHchu' bIH
  [spiked pommels] provide a damaging surprise attack or give a
    devastating backhand stroke. SP2

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons