tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 01 03:27:31 1999

Re: KLBC

ghay'cha'. chovummoHbej.

jatlh pI'lo:
> burghwIj teb qagh = worms fill my stomach.

> would this work?
> My stomach is full of worms - qagh buy'mo' burghwIj.

ghobe'. I think what you want here is <qaghmo' buy' burghwIj>. You should
attach the <-mo'> to the noun or the verb that is causing the action.

> would I have to say? qagh vISopmo' buy' burghwIj.

This works even better.

> or would it have to be? qagh vISop 'e' buy' burghwIj.

<buy'> means "be full", so it does not make sense to give it an object.
<'e'> is a pronoun representing the previous sentence, and it acts as the
object of the verb that follows it. An example:

bISop 'e' vIlegh.

This is usually translated as "I see you are eating", but it is literally
much closer to: "You are eating. I see that".

> or: qagh vISopmo' 'e' buy' burghwIj.

Same deal.

> I'm just curious how to express more about the subject being
> in a certain state than something doing/causing something
> to the subject. all this talk of worms is making me hungry.

Klingon is very good at that. There's a whole class of verbs which describe
states, and if you just stick a subject after one of those verbs, you've got
it.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level