tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 16:50:54 1999

RE: Qov mu'mey jang pIlo / KLBC

pI'lovaD jang charghwI'. jatlh:

>  Meanwhile, we have examples like {yuvHa'} for
> "pull", which is neither pushing badly, undoing a previous
> push nor simply not pushing. It is the exact opposite of
> pushing. Unfortunately that is not explicitly explained, so
> in some circles it may still seem somewhat controversial.
>
> If others do object to this strongly, I will accept it and
> realize that we then have no word for "pull".

jatlh pI'lo pIl'o' ghap:

> <tIq> is a verb for "be long" so could <tIqmoH> mean
> "cause to be long" as in stretch?

Works for me. Especially since stretching a muscle really does involving
making it long.

> <luH> is the verb for yank. I am having a hard time
> coming up with proper words for my exercise commands.
> In particular for the rowing movement. It is a pull,
> but it is not a yank. It is a slow, wide, even,
> deliberate pull. (dynamic tension)

<yuvHa'> works fine for this, and <QIt yuvHa'> is probably even better.

> <qeb> is a verb for squeeze (a windbag
> instrument) which works for the opposite
> movement in the chest crush. (I like
> to say "Crush the world!" as it's a BIG, slow,
> round movement) would <qebHa'> work for this?

<qeb> is a technical term specific to music, so it's probably best to stay
away from it in any case. I'm also having trouble imagining what a chest
crush looks like, so I can't offer any suggestions. If you describe it more
thoroughly I may be able to help.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ