tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 25 11:23:28 1999

Re: Recast (Was: Clause ordering)

This is a prime example of when to use {vay'}. Here's how I'd recast it:

{Hung Sungmey thlab jeghqangDI' vay' Hung tlhab ghaq ghajlaHbe'}
"If someone is willing to sacrafice freedom for security, he can have
neither."
I have the TKD, the TKW, and KGT. I have the tapes. All I can find for these
terms ghaq (contribute (v) ) and Sungmey (natives incapable of language
[indigenous non-humanoid species?]) does not seem to apply...not to demean
your response, but am I missing something?

[security] [indigenous species] [freedom] [when he/she/it is willing to
surrender it] [anyone] [security] [freedom] [contribute] [he/she/it cannot
possess]

Wait...ghaq was supposed to be chaq [either/or]...and Sungmey was supposed to
be SuqmeH [in order to obtain it]...now I see...but would'nt you need a
pronomial prefix on ghajlaHbe' to identify the subject? Should'nt the use of
vay' be here? As in :
'   Hung SuqmeH tlhab jeghqangDI' Hung tlhab chaq ghajlaHbe' vay'    '??

Or mayhaps as a command:

{Hung DaSungmeH tlhablIj yIjeghQo' pagh Hung tlhab ghap tIghajbe'}
"Do not sacrafice your freedom for security or you will have neither."

Again assuming that the Sung is meant to be Suq... I like this one..although
issued as a command, it is less a commentary than advice/orders. In either
one, however, the intent, specifying that while you may possess security if
you trade your freedom for it, you do not deserve it, is lost. It is not the
not having, but the having without deserving that the phrase bemoans. But
thank you...it is an interesting perspective.

juDmoS

Back to archive top level