tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 26 06:45:15 1999

Re: Recast (Was: Clause ordering)

ghItlh juDmoS:
> {Hung SuqmeH thlab jeghqangDI' vay' Hung tlhab chaq ghajlaHbe'}
> "If someone is willing to sacrafice freedom for security, he can have
> neither."
[snip]
> ...but would'nt you need a
> pronomial prefix on ghajlaHbe' to identify the subject? Should'nt the use of
> vay' be here? As in :
> '   Hung SuqmeH tlhab jeghqangDI' Hung tlhab chaq ghajlaHbe' vay'    '??

As I understand tlhIngan Hol, both positions are valid. Probably
the best way to indicate the subject would be to use {vay'} in the
{-DI'} clause and {vay'vam} "this somebody" as the subject of the
whole sentence, thereby showing your speaking of the same person. (You'll
have to ask the grammarians on this.)

quljIb

Back to archive top level