tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 20 18:21:51 1999

RE: KLBC: Qe'

jatlh T'Lod:

> ... 'ach vIjatlh vIneH <maqochwIj ghaH>.

> I wanted to avoid using maqoch for a female, but I had to.
> It seemed the best way to indicate the intense dislike I
> have of her.

Actually, <maqoch> is a teasing, mildly derogatory word used between male
friends. It's similar to the tone of something like "Good to see you, you
old pirate!"  It's probably the sort thing I would call my little brother
or a few of my coworkers.

An analogous word used between close female friends is <chaj>, but it does
not carry any of the mildly derogatory connotations of <maqoch>. Looks like
in this case Klingons are not so different from humans.

Using either of these words in an inappropriate context would most likely
be construed as an insult, and bloodshed would probably follow.

jatlhqa' T'Lod:

> Which issue? I guess I'll have to order that one along
> with a KLI membership.

It was Volume 7, Number 4 from December 1998.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ