tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 12 10:48:42 1999

Re: SuS tut

K'ryntes:
: QelHom jIH...

ja' DloraH:
> You may be a QelHom (I don't know you), but just in case you aren't aware,
> rachwI' is nurse.

quljIb:
: {rachwI'} Is that some reference to Nurse Ratchet from M*A*S*H?

I'm quite sure it is. <g>

ghunchu'wI':
> As long as you keep in mind that {rachwI'} is specifically someone who
> "strengthens, fortifies", then it's often the correct term to translate
> "nurse".  {QelHom} would more likely be the proper way to refer to a
> medical intern, but I can see it applying to a nurse who is acting as a
> physician's assistant.

K'ryntes:
: Yes, I'm aware of the word but being a nurse is so much more than someone
who
: fortifies.  Yes, nurses provide emotional support and TLC but I also give
: medications, write minor orders, perform minor invasive procedures, decide
: treatment methods, and so on and so on.  RNs in skilled care facilities
operate
: without the presence of a doctor and therefore we are lawfully permitted
to do
: things that, if in a hospital, only a doctor could do.  Nurses aren't just
: Florence Nightengales any more.  We are that plus much more.  So while
: {rachwI'} is a nice term that portrays an important aspect of nursing, it
: doesn't begin to accurately portray what I do.  That's why I prefer
{QelHom}.

So do I.  K'ryntes, weren't you the one who asked Okrand on
startrek.klingon back in October about this?  The online discussion
actually prompted him to consult Maltz and respond.  Here's his post for
those interested in matters medical: